Saturday, February 6, 2010

#7 Open Topic

For this open freewrite I will discuss my experience as an aspiring journalist. I am just starting out in the field, but journalism has definitely been something that’s sparked my interest. I definitely regret not taking any journalism classes in high school, but at the time I wanted to be an event planner. I have just been trying to get my self as familiar as possible with all forms of news sources—newspapers, magazines, television news programs and radio news programs. I am also trying to get used to using the AP [Associated Press] style when writing my stories, which has several differences from what I’m used to with the MLA style of writing. One significant habit I’m trying to break is placing a coma before the “and” in a list of words. For example, I’m used to writing red, white, and blue, but AP style says you must write red, white and blue, eliminating the last coma. I’m also trying to utilize social media sites to discuss news stories. I am an active member of Twitter and Facebook. I’m excited about this semester because I’m taking a news writing and reporting course, which will provide me with some excellent experience in writing for the news. I also plan on completing an internship in my field that would take place over the summer. I am currently applying for an internship in publications at Wolf Trap and if I am accepted it will provide me with some great hands-on work. I will continue to motivate myself to learn the ins and outs of journalism, so when I actually enter the workforce, I will be prepared for the responsibilities of the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment