Saturday, February 13, 2010

Observation and Description Exercise

I am sitting on the concrete stairs outside my apartment. It is early evening around 6:00 p.m. and I am observing the many sights and sounds that surround me.

From where I am sitting, I can see several, tall trees and the back of the building in another apartment complex. I enjoy spending time here because there is always a lot of wild life to observe. I see and hear birds in the trees. There are two fascinating birds standing in the trees right now. One of the birds is a stunning dark blue. The other bird is the color of a ruby red slipper. I have never seen such beautiful and interesting birds around here, except behind my apartment. There is also an enormous rabbit sitting in the grass underneath the trees. A little further away in the grass there are two tiny, baby rabbits nibbling at the grass.

I notice the sun is starting to set. It paints brilliant gold and orange colors across the sky, as it becomes darker outside. There are very few clouds and the setting sun looks as though it is an artist’s picture.

A man has come outside his apartment. I can see him standing on the balcony of a building from the other apartment complex. He is dressed in a light blue t-shirt and gray sweat pants. The man begins smoking a cigarette and stares out into the distance. His dog comes outside, stands next to him and starts barking. He is a brown, long-haired dog and probably a mix of breeds. The man tells his dog to stop barking and go inside and the dog obeys.

I notice the weather is getting a little bit chilly and the wind starts to blow harder. As the trees sway in the wind, the birds continue to chirp. It seems as though they are singing to each other. The rabbits nibble at the grass until a woman and her toddler walk by to go inside their apartment. The rabbits quickly hop toward the trees and hide underneath them in the tall grass. They probably have a hole in the ground where they live, but I cannot see it.

The man on his apartment’s balcony drops his cigarette in an ashtray, goes back inside his house and shuts the sliding glass door.

I observe the apartment complex behind my apartment. It has three floors and is a cheerful, light yellow color. The buildings are in good condition. I think about how I might rather live in that apartment complex instead of the one I currently live in with its old, brick façade.

I can feel the weather continue to become colder and it is getting darker outside, as the sun finishes setting. I still hear the birds chirping as I get up from the stairs and return to my apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment